It’s Monthly DIY Challenge time! I am super stoked to bring you this project, especially after missing last month’s wood slice challenge. I really wanted to think outside the box this time and I think I succeeded in doing so! Don’t forget to visit the other lovely girls participating. They have tons of amazing creations that I know you’re going to love. There’s a link to each of them at the end of the post.
This month’s challenge item is clear ornament bulbs. After a massive brainstorming session one afternoon, I decided to make a DIY Rudolph marquee sign. I have seen so many renditions of marquees around the blogosphere but none made from ornaments! I’ve wanted to make one for the longest time and I’m so glad that the stars aligned for this project.
- Mini clear glass ornament bulbs (Got mine from Michaels)
- 1×12 wood board @ 6′
- Wood stain (I used Dark Walnut from Rustoleum)
- White Christmas string lights
- Red Christmas string lights
- White paint (I used Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint in Lace)
- Glue gun
- Duct tape
- Drill and large drill bit
I stained my board and while it was drying I printed out my letter template. The font is Tahoma, bolded. I rubbed a piece of chalk over the back of the printout and then placed it on the board, chalk side down, and traced each letter. Then I just filled in the outline with my white paint. It took about 3 coats to get the white even.
After that was dry, I set my bulbs up on the letters to plan out the spacing. I marked the spots with a pencil and then drilled my holes all the way through the board. My drill bit is a butthole and decided to gnaw up the wood instead of making clean holes but I just repainted over the splintered parts and you really can’t see anything once the bulbs are put in place. So, if that happens to you, resist the urge to throw your drill across the room and know that all will be okay.
Next, I grabbed my string of white lights and popped a light into each hole. I taped the string to the board with duct tape to keep the string in place and to keep the lights from popping back out.
I wanted to stick the opening of the ornaments into the holes I drilled but I didn’t have a large enough drill bit on hand. Not to worry, though. I just hot glued the bulbs in place. I applied a generous amount of hot glue around the opening of each ornament and then quickly put it in place on the board, holding it steady for about 30 seconds until it dried completely. I was worried about the lights melting the glue but they don’t get nearly hot enough and I haven’t had any trouble with the bulbs falling off.
I replaced the white lights of the ‘O’ with red lights because it’s just not Rudolph with out that shiny red nose.
All done! I think this was definitely one of the coolest projects I’ve made.
You can check out all of the other girl’s awesome projects by clicking on each of the pictures below.